Monday, July 16, 2012

Adding Some Crunch to an Old Favorite: Pretzel PB&J

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich with pretzels

We love PB&J in our house!  During the school year, I try to keep my freezer stocked with homemade Uncrustables for grab 'n go lunches.  But during the summer, I make them fresh.

Lately, I've been using squeezable grape jelly that is leftover from our vacation.  I am completely not impressed.  It seems like a good idea, but in the end, I'd rather have a jar and a spoon.  It's hard to squeeze and you end up having to spread it anyway for evenness and complete coverage.

Not worth it, in my opinion.

In the last week, I've been using homemade jam!!  Soooo delicious!  Shelly, one of the ladies from our church, taught the rest of the ladies how to make and can jam.  She sent us each home with a jar that she had made.  I chose apricot, while Keanna grabbed a strawberry.  The apricot is almost gone.  Once you've had great homemade jam, you will never want to go back to store-bought.



Shelly's jammin' lessons encouraged me to try canning again.  I haven't actually done it yet, but it's on my soon-to-do list.  I did, however, make up a batch of strawberry jam in my bread maker.  It is completely gone already.  Once our peaches are ripe, I will definitely write a post about making jam!


One other way I've been adding some pizzazz to our summer PB&J's, is by adding pretzels.  Pretzels taste great with both the peanut butter and the jelly, and they add a great crunch.  So delicious!

Grape jelly with pretzels for Koda, grape jelly with half
pretzels for Lukas, and strawberry preserves with no
pretzels for Keanna.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

This is definitely true! I finally tried making freezer jam this summer, and I don't think I ever want to buy store-bought jam again! I made strawberry first, then when I needed to use up fruit before leaving on vacation a few weeks ago, I made strawberry-raspberry and nectarine. Yum! I'm curious to try "regular" jam, though, since I don't have a whole lot of freezer space to stockpile it for the rest of the year.

Related Posts with Thumbnails