Friday, April 13, 2012

Southwestern Refried Bean Soup


As you may have figured out by now, among my top Near to Nothing cooking strategies are dried beans, soup, and leftovers.  So of course I jump at the opportunity to combine all of them.  A few months ago I ran across a recipe for this bean soup in the church cookbook and fell in love with it.  Of course, in Near to Nothing fashion, I adapted it to my quick and frugal needs.

Because it starts with refried beans, this soup makes fast and easy weeknight dinner.  Of course, I start with homemade fat-free refried beans, but feel free to use canned.  You may need to add some seasonings if you choose to go that route.  When I make a pot of beans, I try to freeze a portion for this soup.

Four ingredients (if you count the water).  It doesn't get
any easier than that!  And yes!  The salsa had a clearance
sticker on it!!

Since there are six of us and I always want leftovers for lunches, I make a huge batch.  If you don’t want to make so much, simply cut the recipe in half or thirds.  Or make the big batch and freeze the soup in individual portions for quick lunches!

Southwestern Refried Bean Soup
3 c. water
1 heaping Tbsp. chicken bouillon
3 lb. refried beans
¾ c. salsa

In large pot, bring water and bouillon to a boil.  Add beans and salsa.



Heat on medium to medium-high heat, stirring often.  Serve with desired toppings (cheese, yogurt/sour cream, avocado, olives, tomatoes, chips, hot sauce, etc.).


3 comments:

jscott said...

Hi! I was wondering what you would recommend using in place of chicken bouillon? I was going to purchase some and read the ingredients....MSG is like the second or third ingredient.

Sumiko said...

Better Than Bouillon doesn't list MSG on it's ingredients. You could also omit the bouillon and replace the water with MSG-free chicken broth or stock. In that case, you may need to add a little salt as well.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! I used MSG free chicken stock and Blend It Up Southwest Spice Blend (part of a spice trio I purchased with my Vitamix) and it turned out fantastic! My family loved it. I really appreciate your recipes/ideas.

Related Posts with Thumbnails