Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Garlic Chicken Pizza


This is the pizza I made when I tried my new pizza dough recipe a couple weeks ago.  Let me tell you, the pizza was even more amazing than the crust!!  Let me give you a bit of a caveat though, it's not friendly on the waistline.  Most pizza isn't low calorie, but this kind especially isn't low cal.  It is so yummy, though, and a nice treat every once in a while.  If you like Papa Murphy's Gourmet Garlic Chicken Pizza, this is apparently very similar.

Garlic Chicken Pizza
1 unbaked pizza crust
2/3 cup Ranch dressing (you can get great sales on dressing)
1/2 -1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan (I used the Kraft powdery Parmesan - worked well and isn't as expensive as the block of Parmesan)
1 chicken breast, cooked and cut into strips
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup green onions, chopped (whites removed)

Preheat oven to 425.

Spread pizza dough on pizza pan or stone.  I don't have a round stone or pan, and I've found pizzas don't always bake well on my rectangular stone, so I made 4 smaller pizzas.  Combine ranch dressing and garlic; spread over crust.  I didn't use all of the sauce I had mixed and I thought it tasted great, but that may be because mine was a different size.


Combine cheeses; sprinkle half of cheese mixture over sauce.  Layer chicken, tomatoes, and green onions; top with remaining cheese.  Bake 12-15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and crust is slightly browned.




Money-saving and other tips:

  • If you wait for a sale, you can usually find ranch dressing quite cheap.
  • Buying blocks of cheddar and mozzarella cheese is usually (but not always) cheaper than buying it shredded.
  • Blocks of Parmesan cheese are much more expensive than buying the non-refrigerated grated (almost powdery) kind.  The powdery kind works well in this recipe.
  • Look for a good sale (I often get it for $1.85/lb or less) on boneless, skinless chicken breasts and/or use leftover chicken from another meal.
  • Preparing the chicken using Sumiko's method will add extra flavor to your pizza.  When cooking the chicken, be careful not to overcook it, otherwise it will get very dry when you bake the pizza.
  • It's not tomato season, but if you watch the ads, you may be able to find a good sale on them.  Where I live, I can often get them for 33 cents/lb or less.


Thanks to Tammy for the recipe.  Check out her pizza making tips here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails