Monday, October 10, 2011

Easy Eggs


As a little kid, I remember eating eggs only two ways: scrambled and over easy (dippy eggs, as we called them).  Today, I still eat them only two ways, but I think dippy eggs are disgusting, so I've replaced over easy with over hard.  My husband grew up eating them that way and introduced me to them.  After a morning run, eggs over hard is my favorite way to get my much-needed protein, and they're so easy to make.  They're so easy, in fact, that my 3-year-old daughter likes to watch me and tell me how to make them!

Eggs Over Hard
Oil or butter
Eggs
Salt and pepper
Garlic Powder
Ketchup (optional)
Hot sauce (optional)

Lightly grease the bottom of a skillet (I use nonstick) and preheat the pan over medium heat.  When the pan is warm, crack an egg and drop it into the skillet.  


With a spatula, break the yolk of the egg.  Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  



Allow the egg to cook for a couple minutes, them flip egg and cook until the egg is cooked through.  My favorite way to eat these eggs is with hot sauce (Tapatio) and ketchup.  


3 comments:

StaceyN said...

That is the only way two of my sons will eat fried eggs. When I make breakfast for everyone in my house, I usually need to fry about 16 eggs, which means two pans full. Inevitably, some of the yolks break, no matter how careful I am, so those become the over-hard eggs for my two non-runny boys. Everyone else prefers them runny and doesn't like hard eggs. I can eat them either way (it's a mom thing, I'm sure :-)), so whatever we end up with more of in the pan (runny or hard) is what I eat (usually cold or lukewarm, which is just a mom’s fate so I’ve learned to like it).

One thing ALL my kids like is egg-on-toast, which basically is a hard fried egg bonded with a piece of toast. I just make the egg like you do, but I throw a piece of buttered bread on top while it is still runny, buttered side up. When the egg is cooked, I flip the toast (with egg stuck to it) and toast the buttered side in the pan. It's really a quick and easy breakfast. Not sure why my runny-egg-eaters think hard eggs are good this way but not with toast on the side. Kids are just weird.

Kimiko said...

Mmmm! That sounds good! I'll have to try it. :)

Kiefler said...

Amen to over hard!!!

I've never liked over easy. Sometimes I will enjoy over medium if a restaurant doesn't get it quite done, but if I'm cooking it, it gets hard all the way through.

That said, I love a well whipped (light and fluffy) scrambled egg too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails