Friday, January 28, 2011

Sweet Tortilla Soup


A couple weeks ago, Sumiko shared her Tangy Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe.  I have to admit that I've never had it before, but it looks delicious and I'd like to try it!  However, in the meantime, here's my version of Chicken Tortilla Soup.  It's not tangy - more sweet, but it is delicious!  It was given to me by a friend at church when I got married and it's one of the few soups my husband will eat (he's not a soup person).  This is a great meal if you don't have a lot of time.  It reheats great, so when I worked outside of the home 40 hours a week, I used to make this the night before and then just reheat it when I got home from work.  Sometimes I make a double batch and freeze half for another time.

Sweet Tortilla Soup
15 oz tomato sauce (approx. 2 cups)
2 1/2 cups water
1 cup salsa
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp fresh garlic, minced (approx. 2-3 cloves, depending on the size)
1 tsp chicken bouillon
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 1/2 cups kidney beans (or 15 oz. can, drained)
1 cup cooked shredded chicken (optional)

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients except chicken.



 
Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes.  Add chicken and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.


You can eat it as is or serve it with tortilla chips, avocado, sour cream, cheese, green onions, and/or cilantro.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails